Sunday, September 2, 2007

Random Thoughts on Kanye...

...hmmm, so Graduation leaked this week. A lot has been said about it, and from what I have read (on the net) and heard (from friends), most of the criticism has been very positive. To be honest, and this is only based on about 7 full listens so my opinion may change, I'm not feeling Graduation at all. And it comes down to a few pretty basic reasons...
-Kanye's rapping
-Lil Wayne
-"I Wonder"
-"Drunk & Hot Girls"
That pretty much sums up the major reasons why I don't really like this CD. There are a lot of solid tracks such as "Good Morning," "Champion," & "The Glory." There are amazing beats such as "Flashing Lights," "Can't Tell Me Nothing," & "Everything I Am." The problem, even on the better tracks, is that Kanye's rappin just does not do justice to his beats. His flow is mediocre, he speaks about nothing, and his punchlines, although sometimes creative, are more often soft. And I'm not even knocking this album for being soft, as many people have. I actually like the vibe, and I appreciate Kanye for attempting to push Hip-Hop outside of the boundaries, but I honestly think he just fails. There are way too many UNLISTENABLE songs. I'm not even kidding, I cannot get through "I Wonder," despite having one of the dopest beats on the album and having an ILL vocal sample. The song just sucks. And I won't even get into how wack "Drunk & Hot Girls" is.
Anyways, thats just some of my thoughts on the album. As you can see, it has its ups and downs. It has its accomplishments and its failures. It's just sad that the most anticipated album of the last 2 years has so many downs...

1 comment:

Chanda @ Disordered Cosmos said...

you know, I kinda like the album, but I totally see where you are coming from. I'll be thinking about what you said here the next time I listen.